The crimson king maple is often planted as an ornamental landscape tree because of its eye-catching deep purple leaves and wide, shady canopy. The most popular method of introducing a crimson king maple to the home landscape is by transplanting a sapling, because crimson king maple seeds are difficult to germinate. Before they will sprout, these seeds must first be cold stratified for several months. But after a period of initial intensive care, they grow quite happily indoors until they are strong enough to be planted in the landscape.
Fill a 4-inch pot to within 1/2 inch of its lip with a mixture that is two parts seed-starting garden soil, one part peat moss and one part sand.
Water the soil until water drips out of the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot.
Plant the crimson king fruit in the center of the pot so that it is covered with 1 inch of soil.
Cover the top of the pot with the plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band.
Place the pot on a shelf in your refrigerator and leave it for 90 to 140 days. Check it periodically to make sure that the soil remains moist at all times. If the soil is dry to the touch, water it with a spray bottle.
Remove the pot from the refrigerator and into a spot in your home where it will remain room temperature and receive indirect sunlight. Continue to keep the soil moist by spraying it with water regularly.
Remove the plastic wrap once the seedling germinates. Continue to keep the soil moist by watering it whenever the top inch of the soil dries out. Use a watering can and water until water drips out of the drainage holes in the pot.
Things You Will Need
- Seed-starting garden soil
- Pot with drainage holes
- Peat moss
- Plastic wrap
- Spray bottle
- A crimson king maple's fruit is ready to harvest when it turns brown and falls from the tree. There is no need to extract the seed before you plant.
- Crimson king can be transplanted once it develops four leaves.
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- What is the Fastest Growing Fruit Tree?
- Germinate Cherry Tree Seeds
- Do Deer Like to Eat River Birch Trees?
- Grow Lemon Trees Indoors From a Lemon Seed
- Grow Peach Trees From Seeds
- Propagate Texas Ebony Trees
- Are Ficus Trees Poisonous to Children?
- Grow Habanero Peppers From Seeds
- Can You Grow a Peach Tree in Minnesota?