Christmas and holiday ornaments allow families to build traditions with specialty pieces. Such specialty ornaments comprise of items like a child's first pair of shoes, memorable wedding favors and even preserved flowers from a funeral arrangement. Funeral arrangement flowers make for attractive holiday ornaments that allow you to showcase your remembrance of loved ones that have passed on. Preserving and making Christmas ornaments out of funeral flowers is an easy and creative project that makes your ornament more special and memorable.
Snip the stem from the flower you have chosen, using scissors. Make a clean cut directly beneath the blossom of the flower, leaving only about 1/8 inch of stem.
Hold the flower by the short nub of stem between your thumb and forefinger.
Hold the can of hairspray about 5 inches from the flower and spray a thin layer over the surface. Twirl it with your thumb and finger to get all sides with the hairspray.
Place the flower in the center of one of the plastic frame inserts.
Layer the other sheet of plastic over the top of the flower.
Press the two pieces with the flower between them with all of your weight. This flattens the flower, and the hairspray coating allows the flower to keep its color as it's being flattened.
Remove the top sheet of plastic and allow the flower to air out for three days. Apply a thin layer of hairspray over the flower once a day.
Squeeze a line of hot glue along the edge of the plastic insert on which the flower is drying.
Layer the other sheet over the flower again, pressing the edges together to adhere them with the glue.
Things You Will Need
- 2 plastic photo-frame inserts (5 by 5 inches)
- Hot glue gun
- Drill a small hole at the top of the glued plastic sheets to allow a hook to pass through, turning the preserved flower into a decorative and sentimental Christmas ornament.
- What Is the Best Way to Press a Flower?
- Preserve Flowers in Jewelry
- Coat Flowers in Resin
- Make Indian Flower Garlands
- Dry & Save Frangipani Flowers
- Make Funeral Flowers Into Jewelry
- Dry Flowers in a Book
- Keep a Corsage Forever
- Frame Dried Flowers
- Make Crafts With Pressed Flowers
- Preserve Dried Flowers With Clear Resin
- Preserve Flowers Without Drying Them