Elm trees are susceptible to a few common insects. Aphids are among these insects. Aphids can be brown, black, red and even yellow. They are tiny and have pear-shaped bodies. Aphids have piercing-sucking mouth parts and can drain all the nutrients out of the leaves of your elm tree. Aphids reproduce quickly so it is very important to learn how to protect your elm tree from ever becoming infested with this pest.
Bring ladybugs onto your property. If you cannot catch any of your own, you can purchase them from various garden centers. Ladybugs are natural predators to the aphid and will take care of any aphids that make their way to your elm tree. This can stop an infestation from ever occurring.
Hang a strip of parasitic wasps from your elm tree. This is another predator to the aphid that will prevent your elm tree from ever getting an infestation. When you go to purchase parasitic wasps, you may find them called trichogramma.
Hose down your elm tree leaves once every couple of days. Make sure you aim underneath of the leaves. This is where aphids often cluster together. The water will knock any aphids that may be on your elm tree off.
Fill a garden sprayer with 2 gallons of water and add 3 tbsp. dish detergent. This creates an all natural insecticide. Spray this insecticide all over the leaves of your elm tree. Repeat once every two weeks to keep aphids away.
Things You Will Need
- Parasitic wasps
- Dish soap
- Garden sprayer
- Keeping an eye on your elm tree will help you quickly catch any aphids that show up. Once every couple of days flip the leaves over and examine them for aphids.
- Control Aphids on Muscadine Vines
- Insects That Attack Citrus Trees
- Get Rid of Beetles on Tomato Plants
- Pests That Eat Navel Orange Tree Leaves
- How Fast Will a Whitespire Birch Tree Grow?
- What Bugs Eat Birch Tree Leaves?
- Naturally Get Rid of Japanese Beetles on Trees
- Care for a Corkscrew Willow Tree
- What Do You Call the Leaves on Cedar Trees?
- Get Rid of the Insects on Your Lemon Tree
- Diseases of Elm Trees
- Pear Tree Leaf Insects