Though most gardeners think of using herbs such as garlic and oregano with strong aromatic flavors in soups and sauces, many herbs have a sweeter taste. The sweet herbs are used in desserts, but also add a sweet taste to spicy dishes.
Sweet basil is a member of the mint family, but its sweet taste is distinct. The bushy plant has bright green aromatic leaves that can be used fresh or dried. Sweet basil has a sweet, peppery flavor.
This green herb's peppermint and spearmint varieties are often used in candy, desserts, drinks and gum. The green herb is easy to grow from seed indoors or outdoors. It is invasive and can quickly take over a garden bed if not contained. There are 25 varieties of the mint. Its leaves are aromatic and have a strong, sweet and cool flavor.
The lacy leaves of the sweet cicely make it a popular perennial in garden beds. It has aromatic leaves that taste as if they've been sprinkled with sugar. The fresh and dried leaves of the herb are used for cooking both desserts and main dishes.
A delicate-looking herb with dark-green, narrow leaves, which can be used fresh or dried. This herb has a mild licorice flavor and is used in cooking.
The distinctive silver-green leaves of rosemary resemble pine needles, can be used fresh or dried. It is a member of the mint family, and has a sweet taste that is lemony with a hint of pine. It is often used with lamb dishes.
- Using Sand in Gardening
- Growing Edible Bamboo Shoots
- Herbs That Grow Well in Ohio
- Building Raised Vegetable Garden Beds
- Information on the Lemon Sage Plant
- Flowering Plants With Flavors Similar to Fennel & Licorice
- Herbs That Can Grow With Basil in the Same Pot
- The Lowest Temperature of Marigold Plants
- Plant the Herb Fennel
- What Do You Call the Leaves on Cedar Trees?
- Plants With Green Leaves and Purple Veins
- How Much Sun Do Knockout Roses Need?