A greenhouse is an ideal way for avid gardeners or precious plant collectors to control the environment of their crops, especially in regions with extreme weather conditions. While greenhouse plants can be seasonal and year-round, certain plant varieties that have special needs such as tropical breeds, thrive better in a greenhouse.
Begonias are tropical flowers that are native to South America, southern Asia and Africa. They grow in a wide variety of bright colors (white, blue, yellow, purple, red, pink and orange), and emit a sweet fragrance. There are dozens of varieties of begonias. Its jagged foliage has a waxy to slightly hairy texture. Begonias flourish in greenhouses year-round, and prefer full shade.
Ferns are tropical jungle plants, but are also popular to grow indoors as houseplants. Ferns flourish in humidity, heat and low lighting, thanks to its natural low-growing place under the jungle canopy. A greenhouse is ideal for this plant, especially when the ferns are misted regularly. Ferns range in color from lime green to almost black-green, with large leaves and various foliage textures. Common greenhouse fern varieties include maidenhair, staghorn and Boston.
Since orchids are known as one of the most delicate flowers in the garden world, a greenhouse's controlled environment is one of the best places to grow one. Orchids need protection, controlled temperature and special care, so they are best planted in humidity trays in the greenhouse. Choose tropical orchids for the largest, most colorful varieties. Popular greenhouse orchids include the cattleya, phalaenopsis and cymbidium.
- What Plants Grow Better in a Greenhouse Than Outside?
- Winter Care for Wax Begonias
- Care for Fern House Plants
- Greenhouse Gardening for Beginners
- Temperature Range to Grow Tomatoes
- Grow Produce in a Hot House
- Winter Over Tuberous Begonias
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams
- Grow & Care for Viola Pansies Indoors
- What Eats the Leaves & Tomatoes on Plants?
- Control Scale Insects on Indoor Plants
- Which Plants Grow Upside Down?