Replacing blades on the Toro Recycler 6.5 lawn mower is no different than any other push lawn mower. The only exception is that Toro uses an extra mounting piece that aids in balancing the blade on the mower. When removing the blade from the Toro Recycler, ensure that you transfer the mounting hardware to the new blade. You can purchase replacement blades at home improvement centers.
Remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug. Place the plug wire boot on the retaining post to the left of the spark plug. Put on a pair of leather work gloves to protect your hands. Both old and new blades are sharp and will cut through skin with ease.
Tilt the mower on its side with the air cleaner assembly pointing up to the sky. Insert a block of wood under one end of the blade and the bottom of the mower deck. This will help keep the blade from moving as you loosen the retaining bolt.
Turn the center retaining bolt securing the blade to the motor shaft counter-clockwise with a socket wrench. You may need to hold the end of the blade opposite the end the wood block is under to help keep the blade still while removing the retaining bolt.
Pull the old blade off the motor shaft and remove the rectangular balancing brace off the blade. There is another smaller rectangular piece of metal that should remain on the shaft.
Place the new blade over the motor shaft with the curve side of the blade toward the mower. Seat the blade in between the sides of the smaller rectangular piece around the shaft.
Place the larger rectangular blade balancer over the blade so that it sits flush on the blade. Thread the bolt into the motor shaft and tighten with the socket wrench.
Set the Toro Recycler mower back on all four wheels and push the spark plug wire boot over the spark plug.
Things You Will Need
- Leather gloves
- Block of wood
- Socket wrench set
- Replacement blade
- Always disconnect the spark plug wire before servicing the Toro mower.
- Change the Blade on a Yard Man Lawnmower
- Remove a John Deere Mower Deck
- How do I Change the Deck on a Walker Mower?
- Sharpen a Mulching Lawn Mower Blade
- Replace Blades on a RZT 54 Cub Cadet
- Install a Lawn Mower Blade
- Remove a Blade Adapter From a Craftsman Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Change a Circular Saw Blade
- Change My 22 In. Craftsman Lawn Mower Blade
- Change Gravely Lawn Mower Blades
- Replace the Drive Belt on an Edger
- Take off Lawn Mower Blades