An environmentally friendly weed killer can be made from common household products. Vinegar contains acetic acid, which is a natural weed killer and lowers the pH of the soil to prevent weeds from growing. A combination of vinegar, salt and liquid soap makes an eco-friendly solution that will destroy weeds. Saturating the soil as well as the plant itself will stop and prevent the spread of weeds. This organic formula can be reapplied as necessary.
Combine 1 gallon of white or apple cider vinegar, 1 oz. of liquid soap and 1 tbsp. of salt in an empty bucket. The acetic acid in the vinegar will kill the weeds, and the salt helps to dry up any remaining moisture. Liquid soap adds to the effectiveness of the vinegar.
Mix the solution well, and transfer desired amount into an empty plastic spray bottle.
Spray the vinegar solution directly onto weeds. Use this weed killer on a dry, sunny day to guarantee that the weed will not be receiving any moisture.
Saturate the soil with the remaining homemade weed killer to prevent future weed growth. The vinegar will kill any remaining portion of the weed, and the salt will make the soil an inhospitable environment for any plant growth.
Things You Will Need
- White or apple cider vinegar
- Liquid soap
- Plastic spray bottle
- empty bucket
- Purchase a vinegar with the highest percentage of acetic acid. Most household vinegars available have between 4 and 7 percent because of their typical use in the kitchen and for cooking purposes; any of these will work.
- Selectively spot-treat problem areas with the homemade weed killer; the vinegar solution can be harmful for grass and other plants.
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- The Best Grass Seed in Southern California
- Homemade Formulas for Killing Weeds
- Grow Cotton
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams
- Homemade Remedy to Kill Poison Ivy
- How Many Quarts of Potting Soil Are in a Cubic Foot?
- Kill Poison Ivy With Salt
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- Get Rid of Weeds in a Brick Patio
- Is a Horsetail Plant Dangerous to Dogs?
- Homemade Thistle Killer