The safety switch on a Craftsman mower is designed to shut the engine down if no one is seated on the tractor seat. This is a safety feature in case someone were to fall off the mower while it was moving or to prevent the power from being put into gear without anyone to control it. Disabling the safety switch obviously removes this safety feature from the mower, so consider carefully before you proceed.
Lift the seat of your riding mower. On most models the seat simply lifts up and is hinged on one end. On some models, there may be a small latch that you will have to release with your finger before you can lift up the seat.
Locate the two wires which attach to the underside of the seat.
Clip the two wires at the point where they connect to the box on the underside of the seat.
Strip 1 inch of insulation of of each wire. You may use a sharp knife or a wire stripper to remove the insulation.
Twist the two bare ends of copper wire tightly together and wrapped with electrical tape until no copper is exposed.
Lay the two wires down under the seat and lower the seat. The safety switch is now disabled, and the mower will run without anyone seated on it.
Things You Will Need
- Wire cutters
- Sharp knife or wire stripper
- Electrical tape
- Some Craftsman mowers have three wires, all black. You must simply experiment, putting two wires together in different combinations until you get the right one.
- Disabling the safety switch on a Craftsman riding mower could result in injury or death. No recommendation is made that the switch be disabled.
- How Does the Seat Safety Switch in a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Work?
- Replace Toro Lawn Mower Wheels
- Disable the Seat Safety Device on a Garden Tractor
- Remove a Homelite Trimmer Clutch
- Ford 6600 Tractor Specifications
- Repair a Muffler on a Lawn Mower
- Jump-Start a Riding Mower
- Charge a 12 Volt Mower Battery
- Replace the Chain Brake on a Poulan Chainsaw
- Replace the Battery in a Homelite Electric Mower
- Put a Drive Belt on a 42 Inch Murray Riding Mower
- Wire a Briggs & Stratton Alternator