An insect infestation can undo all of the hard work gardeners put into their vegetable plants, but so can spraying them with chemical pesticides. Luckily, there are many natural alternatives to bug control--and just as many homemade bug spray recipes. Most of them consist of some combination of soap, peppers, oil and garlic. Pepper and garlic make your vegetable plants unpalatable to most insects, the oil smothers slow-moving bugs and the soap helps the spray stick to the plants.
Place the onion, garlic and jalapeno into the food processor and process the mixture until it develops a salsa-like texture.
Dump the contents out into a glass bowl (you'll have trouble getting the smell out of a plastic one). Add 1 qt. of warm water to the mixture, mix it well with a spoon and let it cure for two hours.
Strain the liquid through a sieve and into another container. Press the mash against the edges of the sieve to strain as much liquid as possible. Discard the solid matter.
Pour the contents of the container into a gallon jug. Fill it the rest of the way full with water and shake well.
Pour the homemade bug spray into your spray bottle.
Spray your vegetable plants early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Evenly coat all of your vegetable plants' tissue until just before the point of runoff.
Re-apply the spray every time it rains.
Things You Will Need
- Spray bottle
- Gallon jug
- 4 garlic cloves
- Jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp. Murphy's Oil Soap
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Small onion
- Food processor
- Glass bowl
- Thoroughly wash your vegetables before consuming them.
- An insect infestation is often a sign that your vegetable plants aren't being properly cared for.
- Make Black Walnut Tea
- Prepare a Concrete Wall for Painting
- Cover Laminate Countertops With Concrete
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Homemade Pesticide for Tomato & Pepper Plants
- How Much Lime to Add to Water to Raise the PH From 7 to 8?
- Get Rid of Little White Bugs on My Plants
- Water House Plants with Epsom Salts
- How Can I Stop Bugs From Eating My Tomato Plants?
- Homemade Insecticide for Plants
- Extract Oil From Flowers
- Kill Weeds with Salt and Vinegar