An insect infestation can undo all of the hard work gardeners put into their vegetable plants, but so can spraying them with chemical pesticides. Luckily, there are many natural alternatives to bug control--and just as many homemade bug spray recipes. Most of them consist of some combination of soap, peppers, oil and garlic. Pepper and garlic make your vegetable plants unpalatable to most insects, the oil smothers slow-moving bugs and the soap helps the spray stick to the plants.
Place the onion, garlic and jalapeno into the food processor and process the mixture until it develops a salsa-like texture.
Dump the contents out into a glass bowl (you'll have trouble getting the smell out of a plastic one). Add 1 qt. of warm water to the mixture, mix it well with a spoon and let it cure for two hours.
Strain the liquid through a sieve and into another container. Press the mash against the edges of the sieve to strain as much liquid as possible. Discard the solid matter.
Pour the contents of the container into a gallon jug. Fill it the rest of the way full with water and shake well.
Pour the homemade bug spray into your spray bottle.
Spray your vegetable plants early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Evenly coat all of your vegetable plants' tissue until just before the point of runoff.
Re-apply the spray every time it rains.
Things You Will Need
- Spray bottle
- Gallon jug
- 4 garlic cloves
- Jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp. Murphy's Oil Soap
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Small onion
- Food processor
- Glass bowl
- Thoroughly wash your vegetables before consuming them.
- An insect infestation is often a sign that your vegetable plants aren't being properly cared for.
- Make Homemade Apple Pie Using Gala Apples
- What is the Coldest Temperature that Vegetable Plants Can Handle?
- Keep Chipmunks Away From My Tomato Plants
- Wash Fruits & Vegetables With Peroxide
- Plant Veggies in Plastic Totes
- Keep Bugs Off Basil Plants
- Make Natural Dye With Black Walnuts
- Get Rid of Meadow Ants
- Make Organic Pepper Spray for Plants
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- Make Your Own Gnat or Fruit Fly Catcher
- Mix Sevin Concentrate Bug Killer