Grasshoppers are considered herbivores, meaning they love to eat leaves, plants and vegetation. Because grasshoppers can jump 20 times the length of their bodies, they can get in trees and begin to damage them when they eat their leaves. You will need to take action to protect your trees from these grasshoppers.
Go to your local garden center and get a pack of nematodes. Nematodes are actually tiny roundworms that will eat any grasshoppers on your property. They are safe to use around children and small pets. Just distribute them near the trees you want to protect.
Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the base of your tree. This natural dirt contains sharp edges that pierce the skeleton of the grasshopper when the grasshopper jumps on it. This causes the grasshopper to not be able to stay hydrated. The grasshopper will then die.
Blend your habaneros peppers with your water. Pour the mixture into an empty spray bottle. Add liquid castile soap. Spray the mixture around the base of your tree, and on some of the lower leaves. This is an all-natural repellent that will keep the grasshoppers from bothering your trees.
Use a chemical insecticide that contains the ingredient pyrethrin to protect your trees. This will kill any grasshoppers in the area without damaging your tree. Just make sure you follow all of the instructions when applying the insecticide.
Things You Will Need
- Diatomaceous earth
- 3 habaneros peppers
- 8 oz. water
- 1 tsp. liquid castile soap
- Chemical insecticide
- Grasshopper baits contain a disease that will kill the grasshoppers after they eat it. The active ingredient in the bait is called Nosema locustae.
- Neem oil can be sprayed on grasshoppers as a natural insecticide.
- Treat Aphids on Fruit Trees & Plants
- Oil Spray for Citrus Trees
- Keep Chipmunks Away From My Tomato Plants
- How Fast Will a Whitespire Birch Tree Grow?
- Make Homemade Natural Mosquito Insecticide
- What Effect Does a Leaf Miner Have on a Tree?
- Stop an Aphid Infestation on Lemon Trees
- Get Rid of Birds on My Porch
- Get Rid of Squirrels in Your Yard
- Naturally Get Rid of Japanese Beetles on Trees
- Prevent Aphids on Elm Trees
- Keep Ants Away From Citrus Trees