Murray uses the Briggs and Stratton engine on both its riding mowers and push mowers. Adding oil depends on which type of lawn mower you own. The push mowers have an oil fill toward the lower part of the engine. The fill area is normally close to the deck and in the vicinity of the air cleaner and carburetor housing. Riding mowers house the oil fill toward the upper part of the engine.
Open the hood on your Murray mower, and locate the oil fill neck. Wipe around the area with a clean cloth to prevent small bits of dirt and grime from getting inside the fill neck.
Turn the oil fill cap counterclockwise and pull the cap off the oil fill neck.
Wipe the dipstick, which attaches to the bottom of the cap, clean with a rag. Put the oil cap back on the fill neck and twist clockwise. Remove the cap again to check the oil level on the dipstick.
Pour SAE 30 motor oil into the fill neck as necessary, and recheck the oil level with the dipstick.
Place the oil cap and dipstick into the fill neck, and twist clockwise when the oil is at the full mark.
Find the small oil fill cap toward the side of the engine. The cap has two protruding prongs. Wipe around the oil cap area with a clean cloth.
Slide the neck of a screwdriver between the prongs on the cap, and twist the cap counterclockwise to remove the cap from the oil fill hole.
Wipe the small dipstick that attaches to the bottom of the cap with a rag, and reinsert the dipstick and cap into the oil fill hole. Twist the cap secure, and then untwist and remove the cap. Check the oil level on the dipstick.
Place a funnel into the oil fill hole, and pour SAE 30 motor oil into the oil fill as necessary. Recheck the oil level with the dipstick.
Put the dipstick and cap back on the oil fill, and twist the cap clockwise to secure the cap to the engine.
Things You Will Need
- SAE 30 motor oil
- Pour oil in small amounts when filling, and check the level. Do not overfill.
- Clean a Lawn Mower Engine
- Change the Oil on a Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Model 556
- Clean Oil from a Swimming Pool
- Adjust a Riding Lawn Mower Carburetor
- Change the Oil in a Toro Lawn Mower
- Change the Oil in a Craftsman Lawn Tractor
- Start a Murray Lawnmower
- Bleed a Wacker Compactor System
- Adjust Deck Height on a Yardman Riding Mower
- How Do You Change the Oil in a John Deere 314 Hydrostatic Transmission
- Replace a Poulan Chainsaw Oil Pump
- Problem with Oil Leaking onto Clutch of Stihl MS250