Hyacinth is often grown as a an indoor potted plant from mid- to late winter. Like other bulbs, they only require minimal care to bloom once, but proper care ensures they bloom year after year. They usually bloom in early spring, but forcing the bulbs helps them bloom even sooner, adding color to indoor areas when everything is still cold and gloomy outdoors. Proper watering is vital to ensure that the hyacinth both blooms in winter and continues to thrive for the entire flowering period.
Plant the hyacinth bulbs in a pot at a 2-inch depth if you are forcing them for winter your self. Water the pot until the excess moisture just begins to drain from the bottom, ensuring the soil is evenly moist but not soggy.
Place the pots in a 35 to 45 degree F area, such as an unheated garage or enclosed porch. Water as needed during this time to keep the soil moist but not soggy.
Move the pots into the home and place them in a 60 F room once the roots begin growing from the bottom drainage holes of the pot. Check the soil surface every two to three days and water when the surface begins to feel dry.
Water as needed throughout the bloom period, or whenever the soil begins to feel dry. Water until the excess drains from the bottom of the pot at each irrigation. Water until the foliage on the plants begins to yellow and die back naturally, usually about six weeks after blooming.
Things You Will Need
- Hyacinth bulbs
- Potting soil
- If forcing hyacinth for winter, plant and water the bulbs 15 weeks before you desire blooms.
- Unlike other forced bulbs, hyacinth can be successfully transplanted to the garden after winter. It may take them one to two years to begin blooming again.
- Avoid standing water in the pots during the cold winter storage. If the water freezes, it may damage the hyacinth bulbs or roots.
- Grow Bulbs Indoors
- Grow Cyclamen Indoors
- The Growth Rate of Emerald Green Arborvitae
- Can I Force Gladiolus Bulbs to Grow?
- Grow Gladiolus Bulbs Indoors
- Replant Amaryllis Bulbs
- Grow Snapdragons From Seed
- Care of Hyacinth Bulbs
- Care for Narcissus Plant
- Plant an Amaryllis Outside
- Watering Care for Calla Lily Plants
- Store Amaryllis Bulbs