For practically every type of lawn, there’s a pest waiting to do some damage. Cutworms, sod webworms, greenbugs and chinch bugs are just a handful of pests that can cause injury to a turf. If you suspect the activity of lawn pests, it’s best to act sooner rather than later. You have three options at your disposal to kill lawn insects. Consider your budget, the cost of treatment and the level of infestation to properly resolve your lawn pest problems.
Locate the damaged area of your lawn. Look for noticeably discolored or wilted areas, two key indicators of lawn pests.
Identify the insect. Take pictures of the bugs if necessary. Consult your local county extension service to help properly identify the pest.
Determine if you will treat the pests by natural or chemical controls.
Apply an insecticide spray on the damaged area according to the manufacturer’s directions. Pyrethrins, Orthene, Dursban and Diazinon are among a few of the most widely used insecticides.
Mix insecticidal soap according to the label directions. Spray the soap directly onto the pests. Apply it during early morning or late evening to avoid the soap evaporating from the heat before it takes effect.
Allow natural predatory insects to do the work for you. For every “bad bug”, there’s a “good bug.” For example, ladybugs and wasps are natural predators of greenbugs. Let nature take its course, permitting good insects to eat the harmful insects that are damaging your lawn.
Things You Will Need
- Insecticide spray
- Insecticide soap
- Wear gardening gloves to protect your skin from harsh chemicals.
- Do not spray any chemicals or soap on a windy day.
- How Can I Reverse a Lawn Fertilizer Burn?
- Bugs That Kill Grass
- Homemade Lawn Fertilizer With Beer
- Calculate the Area of a Yard
- Kill Fleas & Chiggers in the Lawn
- Fix a Lawn With a Weak Root System
- Signs of Grubs in the Lawn
- The Best Time to Treat Lawn Weeds
- Lubricate a Deck on a Cub Cadet
- St. Augustine Grass Pest & Disease
- Homemade Insecticide for Grubs
- Identify the Tiny Green Bugs in Grass