The MTD family of mower and lawn products include Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt and Bolens among others. The MTD push mower use many types of Briggs and Stratton engines on their push mowers. You should change the oil on the MTD push mower at the start of each mowing season. Briggs and Stratton recommends using 10W-30 motor oil for all season mowing. When draining the oil on your MTD you will need to find out if you have a drain plug. Usually if your oil fill cap is yellow or white, the oil will drain from the fill neck.
Place the MTD mower on a level surface and disconnect the plug wire from the spark plug. Clean around the oil fill neck with a clean cloth.
Open the fuel tank and place your gas can close to the fuel tank. Insert the large tube of a hand siphon into the mower fuel tank and the smaller tube from the hand siphon into the gas can. Pump the bulb at the top of the hand siphon to siphon the fuel from the mower into the gas can.
Locate an oil drain plug for your push mower. MTD uses a Briggs and Stratton engine which may or may not have an oil drain plug. If you have a drain plug, it may be a small plug at the base of the fill neck or there may be a plug under the deck close to the motor shaft. Some Briggs and Stratton engine simply drain the old oil from the fill neck.
Remove the oil drain plug with a ¼-inch or 3/8-inch socket wrench adapter, if you have a drain plug. Have a container nearby to catch the oil as you remove the plug. If you drain the oil from the filler neck, remove the cap and dipstick from the fill neck. Tip the mower on its side and drain the oil into the container.
Place the oil plug back into position and tighten with the socket adapter, if your mower uses an oil drain plug. Place the mower on all four tires if you are draining from the fill neck.
Pour in a half liter of 10W-30 motor oil into the oil fill neck. Wipe the dipstick that attaches to the bottom of the fill cap with a cloth. Insert the dipstick into the fill neck and pull the dipstick back out. Check the oil level on the stick and fill with more oil of necessary.
Place the fill cap back onto the fill neck and secure it by turning the cap clockwise. Fill the fuel tank with gas and plug the spark plug wire onto the spark plug.
Things You Will Need
- Hand siphon
- ¼-inch socket adapter
- 3/8-inch socket adapter
- 10W-30 motor oil
- Contact an auto parts store about disposing your used mower oil.
- Always disconnect the spark plug wire before attempting repairs on your MTD mower.
- Change the Spark Plug in a John Deere STX38
- Replace Oil in Kenmore Washer Transmissions
- Maintain a Scag Mower
- Change the Lawn Mower Oil on a Cub Cadet Mower
- Change Oil in a Simplicity Coronet Mower
- Replace a Poulan Chainsaw Oil Pump
- Change the Oil in a Murray Lawnmower
- Change the Oil on a Craftsman 675 Series Mower
- Repair a Snapper Riding Mower
- Change the Oil on a Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Model 556
- Change the Oil in a Craftsman Lawn Tractor
- Change Oil in a Craftsman Lawn Mower