Squirrels can be cute and entertaining creatures when they are scampering about your trees or harmlessly exploring the backyard. But these small furry creatures can quickly transform into serious pests when they begin to get into your vegetable garden. As squirrels dig holes to bury nuts, they often come across seeds and vegetables that are a tasty surprise. Whether you already have a squirrel problem in your garden, or you’re simply looking to take some preventative measures, there are several methods to protect your vegetable garden from squirrels.
Cover your vegetable garden with wire mesh. Make sure the openings in the mesh are no larger than 1/2 inch, or the squirrels will be able to get through.
Weigh down the edges of the wire mesh with bricks. Remove the mesh to tend to the plants, then replace it immediately when you're done.
Remove all other temptations from your yard. Standing water and bird baths provide a welcome drink for squirrels, and pet food or bird seed left outside is an enticing snack.
Place baffles on any bird feeders to keep squirrels away from them. These inverted cones keep squirrels from climbing up to the feeders and snacking on the seeds. When this food source is eliminated, the squirrels will be forced to find another yard for their tasty treats.
Things You Will Need
- Wire mesh
- Humane squirrel traps can be used to capture and remove one or two problem squirrels, but this may not be a lasting solution--new squirrels will probably come along to replace the ones you have removed.
- Bitter tasting sprays and wildlife repellents can affect the flavor of the vegetables for you as much as they do for the squirrels, so these types of remedies shouldn't be used on plants you plan to eat.
- Get Rid of Squirrels in the Lawn
- Catch a Red Squirrel
- Keep Squirrels Out of My Flower Baskets
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Get Rid of Possums in the Yard
- Keep Raccoons Away From My Deer Feeder
- Keep Chipmunks Away From My Tomato Plants
- Do Deer Like to Eat River Birch Trees?
- Plant Buttercup Flower Seeds
- Get Rid of Porcupines
- What Garden Vegetables Do Squirrels Like?
- How Many Seeds Are in an Average Sized Pumpkin?