The Homelite string trimmer brand uses a plastic line, similar in thickness and structure to fishing line, to cut weeds and grass in areas that a mower can't reach. The line is able to cut this type of brush because it is attached to a rapidly-spinning hub. The velocity at which the string turns makes it rigid and gives it the cutting power to slice through soft tissue such as grass while leaving sturdy objects such as landscaping stones unscathed. Regular maintenance of your Homelite string trimmer includes replacing the string as it becomes worn.
Disconnect the power source on your string trimmer. Unplug electric string trimmers or remove the battery source. For gas trimmers, remove the spark-plug boot.
Place your string trimmer on a flat working surface and turn it so the string head faces upward.
Unscrew the spool retainer from the end of the spool. Lay it aside.
Pull the spool off of the string head and turn it over so that the spring faces upward. Remove all string from the spool.
Clean the spool, spool retainer and string head with a clean cloth and inspect it for damage.
Cut two pieces of string measuring 9 feet each.
Insert the first string in the anchor hole--located in the top compartment of the spool--as far as it will go. Wind the remaining string in the direction indicated by the arrow printed on the side of the spool. Insert the other end of the string in the holding notch on the side of the spool. Leave approximately 6 inches of string hanging from the notch.
Insert the second string in the anchor hole in the lower compartment and wind it in the direction indicated. Place the end of the string in the notch on the lower side of the spool. Leave approximately 6 inches of string hanging from the other end.
Turn the spool over and thread each piece of string into the eyelets on the sides of the string head. Place the spring and spool over the hub on the string head and push the spool into the string head. Grasp the strings where they emerge from the eyelets and pull until the string releases from the notches.
Push the spool down and turn it counterclockwise until it no longer turns. Turn the spool back clockwise a small amount. The spool will be locked onto the string head at this point.
Screw the spool retainer back onto the spool. Push the spool retainer down while pulling on the strings to turn the head into its cutting position. Reconnect the power source.
Things You Will Need
- Homelite string trimmer
- Clean cloth
- Replacement string
- Utility knife
- Before changing the string, read your Homelite string trimmer operator's manual to familiarize yourself with all safety warnings and parts of the Homelite string trimmer.
- Replace the Trimmer Cord on a Yard Machine Y28
- Remove the String Head on a McCullough Trimmer
- Install a String on a Homelite Weedeater
- Remove the Head on a Husqvarna Trimmer
- Restring a FeatherLite Weedeater
- Replace the String on a Toro Trimmer
- Replace the Line in a Craftsman Gas Powered String Trimmer
- Wind Trimmer Line on a Husqvarna Trimmer
- Restring a Craftsman Weedwacker
- Remove the Spool on a Yard-Man String Trimmer
- Put String on an Electric Weed Eater
- Rewind the Spool of a Grass Trimmer