Common Poisonous Plants in Florida
Several poisonous plants exist in Florida. The plants, depending on the type, produce different allergic reactions. Some cause rashes when touched, while others cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. Most poisonous plants are used in landscaping or as houseplants. If you have children or pets and have any of these poisonous plants, keep the plants out of their reach.
The peace lily, a plant common to Florida landscaping and often used as a Florida houseplant, contains oxalate crystals in the stems and leaves. The oxalate crystals cause immediate pain when bitten into and chewed. Symptoms of the poison include burning in your mouth, on your lips and in your throat. Vomiting may also occur if the plant is ingested.
- Several poisonous plants exist in Florida.
- The oxalate crystals cause immediate pain when bitten into and chewed.
Lily of the Valley
Some plants are not only poisonous when swallowed, but their smoke is also poisonous to inhale. Forest fires are common in Florida, and the burning of these plants, including lily of the valley, causes serious lung damage. If you inhale the smoke from lily of the valley, you may experience the following symptoms: stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure, dizziness, seizures and a slow pulse. If you cannot get away from the smoke, there is the possibility of lung damage, due to the allergic reaction and irritation from the toxins in the smoke.
The autumn crocus, a Florida plant, causes several symptoms when ingested, including shock, fever, multiple organ failure, vomiting and diarrhea. In multiple organ failure, your liver and kidneys may fail, and you may experience respiratory failure.
Plants that produce berries are common in Florida landscaping. Eating the unripe berries of the common lantana may cause blurry vision, dilated pupils, weakness, vomiting, dizziness, shallow breathing and flushed skin.
- Some plants are not only poisonous when swallowed, but their smoke is also poisonous to inhale.
- The autumn crocus, a Florida plant, causes several symptoms when ingested, including shock, fever, multiple organ failure, vomiting and diarrhea.
The sap of the croton, popular in Florida because it is drought and heat-tolerant, may cause skin irritation if touched. If the plant is eaten, you may experience vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.
The oils from the Brazilian pepper, a poisonous Florida plant, may cause a blistering rash. The smoke from the burning plants should be avoided, as should plants in bloom, as either may cause breathing difficulty and wheezing.
Cayden Conor has been writing since 1996. She has been published on several websites and in the winter 1996 issue of "QECE." Conor specializes in home and garden, dogs, legal, automotive and business subjects, with years of hands-on experience in these areas. She has an Associate of Science (paralegal) from Manchester Community College and studied computer science, criminology and education at University of Tampa.