Gardeners with landscaping areas often fight weeds continually throughout a growing season. Some gardeners opt to use chemical solutions for fighting weeds in flower beds, around vegetable gardens and beneath shrubs and trees. Preen Weed Preventer can effectively prevent weeds from growing in your planting areas. Because Preen will not kill weeds, you must apply it as a weed preventative to keep weeds from sprouting in your growing areas.
Remove existing weeds before you apply the Preen Weed Preventer. Use the garden spade or the hand rake to loosen the soil well. Pull all weeds from the growing area and discard them. Rake the soil surface smooth with the rake.
Choose a warm and dry day to apply the Preen Weed Preventer. For best results, apply the Preen when plants are dry to avoid damaging them. Wait until flowers are at least 3 inches high before applying Preen.
Apply approximately 2 inches of mulch to the growing area, spreading the mulch evenly to cover the entire soil area.
Sprinkle 1 oz. of Preen granules over every 10 square feet of soil area directly over the mulch. Make sure you apply the Preen evenly. Keep the Preen 2 to 3 inches away from each plant to avoid contact with foliage or roots. If Preen accidentally touches plants, brush it off immediately.
Water the application area thoroughly immediately after you apply the Preen. The water will activate the Preen chemicals and help them begin to work to prevent weeds.
Reapply Preen every two to three months to keep the weed prevention continual.
Things You Will Need
- Garden spade
- Hand rake
- Shredded mulch
- Preen Weed Preventer
- Gardening gloves
- Wear gardening gloves while applying the Preen Weed Preventer.
- If you use Preen around vegetables, apply 1 pound of Preen for every 640 square feet of heavy soils, 1 pound of Preen for every 960 square feet of average soils and 1 pound of Preen for every 1,280 square feet of sandy soils.
- Apply Preen before seeding legumes, root vegetables and cruciferous vegetables. Apply Preen after seeding vining vegetables and the plants have at least five leaves.
- Work the Preen into the top 2 inches of a vegetable garden, taking care not to disturb plants in the process.
- Keep humans and animals away from the application area while you apply the Preen and until the granular dust settles completely. If you apply water after the Preen, restrict access to the area until after the application area dries completely.