• All
  • Articles
  • Videos
  • Plants
  • Recipes
  • Members

Which House Plants are Poisonous for Dogs?

Comments ()  |   |  Text size: a A  |  Report Abuse  |  Print
close

Report This Article

Which House Plants are Poisonous for Dogs?

Reason for flagging?

Comments

Submit

Share:    |  Email  |  Bookmark and Share

Houseplants add beauty and color to our homes but they aren't always pet friendly. Dogs are curious by nature and often nibble or bite plant leaves that can contain toxins which will make them sick. Keeping plants out of reach is a good idea, but it's safer for your dog if you don't have toxic plants in your home. When purchasing a new plant, be aware of which ones may harm your dog.

Asparagus Fern (Asparagus setaceus)

An allergic dermatitis is a common reaction in dogs who suffer prolonged exposure to the asparagus fern. The main symptom of allergic dermatitis is excessive itching, called pruritis. Chewing and biting or licking may be signs that your dog is suffering from pruritis. Asparagus ferns also have berries which, if ingested, can cause gastric upset in dogs. Speak with your vet if you feel your dog is having any of these issues.

Charming Dieffenbachia (Dieffenbachia amoena )

Dogs who eat the charming diffenbachia plant will experience oral irritation in the form of a burning sensation of the tongue, lips and the insides of the mouth. Dogs who have ingested diffenbachia may experience vomiting and excessive drooling caused by swallowing difficulties. Contact your vet immediately if you think you're dog has eaten parts of the charming diffenbachia.

Florida Beauty (Dracaena surculosa)

The Florida beauty, also known as spotted dracaena, is very toxic to dogs when ingested. Signs of distress are poor appetite, weakness, drooling, difficulties maintaining balance, depression and vomiting. Speak with your vet immediately if your dog shows these symptoms after eating leaves from the Florida beauty.

Jade Plant (Crassula argentea)

Jade plants, often called rubber plants, are toxic to dogs when ingested. Symptoms that signal your dog has eaten this plant are depression, vomiting and lack of muscle coordination. Dogs will appear weak and clumsy and may lose their appetite. Rapid heart rate can occur in extreme cases. Contact your vet as soon as possible if your dog exhibits any of these symptoms after biting, chewing or eating the leaves of the jade plant.

Corn Plant (Dracaena fragrans)

This tall tree-like plant is usually found in large containers on the floor, the perfect location for dogs to nibble on and bite at its leaves. Symptoms of corn plant ingestion are vomiting, which sometimes appears bloody, depression, excessive drooling and anorexia. If you think you're dog has eaten part of your corn plant, contact your vet immediately for assistance.

Cutleaf Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa)

Usually located on your floor due to its size, the cutleaf philodendron is a temptation for dogs who like to bite or chew at plants. These plants are toxic to dogs if ingested and can cause oral irritation for your pet. Dogs will experience intense burning of the mouth, tongue and lips and will drool excessively and can experience swallowing difficulties. Vomiting may occur. Call your vet if you feel your dog has ingested leaves from the cut leaf philodendron.

Keywords: poisonous plants, toxic houseplants, toxic plants

About this Author

Amy Deemer has been writing since 1992. Her articles on family life and pets have appeared in the family section of "The Herald Standard" newspaper. Deemer has an Associate of Arts degree in liberal studies from Westmoreland Community college.

Member Calendar Entries