How to Grow Roma Tomatoes

Overview

Anytime you enjoy a delicious tomato soup or sauce you more than likely have Roma tomatoes to thank. Great for making pastes and spaghetti sauce, the Roma tomato is an easy variety to grow and doesn't require any more care than a slicing or cherry tomato variety. Just remember to take your time getting your garden prepared to grow Roma tomatoes and keep a watchful eye for pests and your Romas will grow just fine.

Step 1

Break up the soil up to 10 inches deep in your garden area once the threat of frost has passed. Cover the surface of you tomato bed with four inches of compost or garden soil and turn the soil to mix the compost in well.

Step 2

Place a tomato cage or stake in the bed for each Roma plant you want to grow, spacing the cages 12 to 18 inches apart, and any rows should be placed three feet apart.

Step 3

Plant your seedlings at each cage or stake by digging a shallow trench long enough to plant 80 percent of the seedling horizontally underground with only the remaining 20 percent sticking up at the cage to grow.

Step 4

Water the plant well without wetting the leaves or stem and keep the soil well moist until you see new growth begin in about a month. Once the new growth begins, only water as needed depending on when your soil feels dry just beneath the surface.

Step 5

Use a low nitrogen fertilizer on your plants until they begin to form fruits following the manufacturer's instructions for strength and frequency.

Tips and Warnings

  • Treat any pests as soon as you notice them to ensure a good, productive crop of tomatoes, but be sure to use a non-toxic pesticide according to the guidelines on the packaging for the length of time between application and harvest.

Things You'll Need

  • Shovel
  • Compost or garden soil
  • Tomato cages or stakes
  • Roma seedlings
  • Water
  • Low nitrogen fertilizer

References

  • "Vegetable Gardening: Your ultimate guide"; Robert J. Dolezal; 2000
Keywords: growing roma tomatoes, how to grow roma tomatoes, planting roma tomatoes

About this Author

Margaret Telsch-Williams is a freelance, fiction, and poetry writer from the Blue Ridge mountains. When not writing articles for Demand Studios, she works for WidescreenWarrior.com as a contributor and podcast co-host.