Few plants have caused gardeners more misery than poison ivy and poison oak. Members of the Sumac family found in a wide area of North America, poison ivy and poison oak contain a chemical in their sap known as urushiol, which can cause an itchy rash, inflamed red skin and painful blisters after contact. Although poison ivy and poison oak can often be a challenge to kill, the plants can be adequately controlled with herbicides.
Dress defensively before approaching poison ivy or poison oak. Wear a long-sleeved shirt, a pair of long pants, garden gloves and boots to cover exposed skin to prevent direct skin contact with the harmful plants.
Trim poison ivy or poison oak to the ground with a pair of garden shears or loppers, and then carefully remove the foliage from the work area.
Spray plants with glyphosate --- a non-selective herbicide commonly found in nurseries and home and garden centers. Take care not to drench the poison ivy or poison oak with the herbicide to avoid harming other desired plants in the landscape.
Reapply glyphosate in a week to 10 days if plants have not died completely. Poison ivy and poison oak are prolific growers that may require several applications of glyphosate to eradicate.