Mothballs contain a harmful chemical called naphthalene, which the Environmental Protection Agency has classified as a toxic chemical. If used near a vegetable garden to control pests, the chemical can cause adverse health effects such as headache and nausea for exposed humans.
About this Author
Callie Barber has been writing professionally since 2002. Barber's love for design and writing inspired her to create Design Your Revolution, a blog that shares creative and affordable ways to decorate indoor and outdoor living environments. Her articles have appeared on Travels.com and GardenGuides.com. Barber holds a Bachelors of Arts in international studies from the University of North Carolina.