Here are a few tips for harvesting raspberries and blackberries for longer shelf life and better flavor:
- Pick the fruit every 2-3 days.
- Pick berries with good color, and if it doesn't pull away from the stem easily, leave it for next time.
- Harvest only when the plants are completely dry. Your berries will keep longer, and you won't spread diseases among your plants.
- Use shallow trays to collect berries to prevent damage to the soft fruit.
- Refrigerate immediately after harvest. Leaving a tray of berries on the ground will attract insects.
Once your crop is harvested, you'll need to prune the canes. Click here for more information on this topic.
And check here for instructions for preserving your harvest, including canning, freezing, and jam recipes.