Buy This Book
The Tree Doctor
A Guide to Tree Care and Maintenance
by Daniel & Erin Prendergast
144 pages, 8 1/2 x 11
full-color photographs, full-color illustrations; Paperback.
A practical guide for growing healthy trees.
As the most dominant and permanent feature in any garden, trees establish a landscape's character more than any other plant. A well-chosen tree in the right location adds color, form, and dimension.
Moreover, trees can filter the air of pollutants, muffle noise, screen the sun, calm the wind, attract birds, reduce soil erosion, raise the water table, and increase property values. Knowing which varieties to grow and how to maintain them is a must for anyone who owns trees or is considering planting one.
The Tree Doctor is a comprehensive manual for tree selection, care, and maintenance. The authors cover the options to consider before buying and what to look for when making your selection.
Other topics include: tree placement; choosing a healthy tree from a nursery; proven urban varieties; detailed planting, pruning, and watering instructions; protecting trees from pests, disease, and weather; diagnosing problems; identifying hazardous trees; and how to hire qualified experts when needed.
The Tree Doctor is an easy-to-understand guide for growing healthy trees that will benefit generations to come.
About the Author
Daniel Prendergast is a professional arborist who has worked for one of North America's largest tree care companies and is a certified member of the International Society of Arboriculture.
Erin Prendergast works at the Art Gallery of Ontario.
Table of Contents
1. THE BENEFITS OF TREES
2. TREE SELECTION AND PLACEMENT
- What is a tree?
- What parts make up a tree?
- How to choose a healthy tree from a nursery
- How trees are sold
- Hardiness rating
- Important factors to consider when selecting a tree
- Tree characteristics
- Planning and design
- Planting for landscape enhancement and functionality
- What makes a tree suitable for the city?
- How you can maintain your street tree
3. PLANTING AND CARE AFTER PLANTING
- - Soil basics
- - When to plant
- - How to dig a planting hole
- - How to plant
- - Planting trees in aboveground containers
- Care after planting:
- - Watering
- - Staking
- - Trunk protection
- - Fertilizing
- - Mulch
- Transplanting mature trees
- Reasons for pruning
- When to prune
- Before you begin...
- Pruning tools
- Proper pruning technique
- Pruning young trees
- Pruning mature trees
- Pruning tips: What not to do
- Pruning shrubs
5. DIAGNOSING PLANT PROBLEMS
- Biotic and abiotic plant problems
- How to make a diagnosis
- Control measures: Cultural practices
- Control measures: Alternative pesticides
- Control measures: Chemical pesticides
6. PROTECTING YOUR TREE FROM DAMAGE
- Construction and renovation:
- - Prevention of tree injury before and during construction
- - Post-construction repair and maintenance
- Storm damage and extreme weather conditions:
- - Ensuring tree health throughout the winter
7. WHEN AND HOW TO HIRE AN ARBORIST
- Services provided
- Guidelines for selecting an arborist
- Contact information
Places and Organizations