The Apple Cookbook - Gardening Book
Buy This Book
The Apple Cookbook
144 pages; 8" x 8"; Paperback.
Author: Olwen Woodier
Honey Crisp. Puritan. Fuji. Twenty-One. Rhode Island Greening. Newtown Pippin. Jerseymac. What's a cook to do with the varieties of apples appearing at supermarkets, orchards, and farmer's markets all over North America?
Apples most often bring to mind sweet desserts, such as pies and cakes, but their superb texture and flavor can also be used to great effect in savory dishes. Grated, sliced, or cubed, an apple adds instant flavor without overwhelming other ingredients. Apple Cookbook includes more than 150 recipes such as:
- Breakfasts: Sausage and Apple Omelets, Apple Corn Hotcakes, and Apple Raisin Turnovers.
- Starters: Prosciutto Apple Wedges and Apple Cheese Spread.
- Soups: Black Bean and Mulligatawny.
- Salads: Potato Apple Salad, Apple Slaw, and Curried Chicken Salad.
- Side Dishes: Maple Sweet Potato Casserole and Sausage and Apple Stuffing.
- Entrees: Cod and Apple Curry, Beef and Apple Deep Dish Pie, and Lamb Stew.
- And, of course, Desserts: Apple and Raisin Deep Dish Pie, Apple Crumb Pie, Apple Cranberry Meringue Pie, Apple Sauce Tart, Hank Keenan's Peach and Apple Pie, Apple Cream Cheese Tart, French Apple Tart, and Pumpkin-Apple Pie.
Top the classic Harvest Apple Pie with a slice of Vermont Cheddar cheese, and the pie still represents the best of American cooking - simple and delicious. First published in 1984, the Tastemaker Award-winning Apple Cookbook has been completely revised and updated.
Gene Shalit of NBC's Today Show says, "bushels of good recipes...this bounty of apple ideas is a pick of the cookbook crop."