Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
2 2/3 pounds (8 medium) potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 to 1 cup hot milk or cream
1. In large saucepan, combine 5 cups water, potatoes and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Drain potatoes thoroughly in colander. Return to saucepan; heat over medium-low heat 2 to 3 minutes to dry potatoes, stirring occasionally.
3. In saucepan, mash potatoes with potato masher or beat with electric hand mixer. Stir in butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup of the hot milk. Add additional milk, a little at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency; beat until light and fluffy. Season to taste with additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
* Amount of milk needed will vary with type of potatoes used and personal preference.
* Mashed potatoes are best served right away. If made ahead, keep potatoes hot in saucepan or heatproof bowl set over pot with barely simmering water. Cover potatoes loosely.
* Recipe can be halved to make 4 servings (about 3 cups), if desired. Cook 1 1/3 pounds peeled, cut potatoes with 5 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt. Prepare as recipe directs, adding 2 tablespoons butter, 1/4-teaspoon salt and 1/4 to 2/3 cup hot milk
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Fat: 6 g
Fiber: 2 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg
Protein: 4 g
Sodium: 603 mg
Recipe courtesy of www.potatohelp.com.