Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
Serve it as the first course of a hearty winter meal.
1/2 cup dried mushrooms, such as porcini
4 cups chicken or beef stock
1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/3 cup wild rice, rinsed
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
chopped parsley, for garnish, (optional)
1. Cover dried mushrooms with hot tap water and soak for about 15 minutes while preparing other ingredients.
2. In a large saucepan combine stock, sliced fresh mushrooms, onion, and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered.
3. Meanwhile, remove dried mushrooms from soaking liquid, reserving liquid. Add mushrooms to soup. Strain soaking liquid through cheesecloth and add to saucepan. Continue cooking until wild rice is tender, 35 to 45 minutes total cooking time. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Add a spoonful of sour cream to each and sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
* Timesaver Tip: Recipe can be made up to 1 day in advance and reheated.