Turkey Chili with Beans
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
1-1/2 Cups green pepper, coarsely chopped
1/2 Cup onion, chopped
1-1/2 Pounds turkey thighs, boneless, skinless and finely chopped
1/2 Cup chili sauce
1-1/2 to 2 Tablespoons chili powder
1-1/2 Teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 Teaspoon crushed cumin
1/8 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Can (14 ounces) Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
1 Can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans, undrained
2 Teaspoons white vinegar
1-1/2 Cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/4 Cup onion, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet. Saute garlic, green pepper and onion in oil over moderate heat until tender but not browned.
- Add turkey and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili sauce and seasonings. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and vinegar. Cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with shredded cheese and chopped onion.
Recipe by The National Turkey Federation.