Cinnamon Apple Wonder
2 tablespoons butter or margarine Method:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
2 Jonagold or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
18 sheets (12- by 17-inch) filo pastry, thawed if frozen
Nutrition information per serving
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Add apples and cook until slightly softened. Add vanilla and lemon juice; cook until apples are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Place one sheet of filo on clean work surface; lightly coat filo with vegetable oil cooking spray. Place a second sheet on top and spray again. Repeat with a third sheet. Cut stacked filo crosswise into 6 equal strips.
- Coat the inside of a custard cup or 1/2-cup ramekin with vegetable oil cooking spray. Place the end of one filo strip in bottom of cup, shaping it to the inside of the cup and leaving the other end extending over the edge. Repeat with remaining strips, overlapping them clockwise, in a circle around the cup with the inner ends stacked on the bottom. Fill bottom with 1/2 cup apple mixture; pull overlapping strips together to form a "purse." When gathered together at top. Close them with a light twist and then separate the strips above the twist for a fanned effect.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to use remaining filo and apple filling, creating 5 more purses.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake Cinnamon Apple Wonders 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle each with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Protein: 4g; Fat: 6g; Carbohydrate: 66g; Fiber: 5g; Sodium: 198mg; Cholesterol: 0; Calories: 320.
Thanks to the Washington Apple Website for this recipe.