Fennel-Rice Smoked Turkey Salad
3/4 Cup rice
1/4 Teaspoon fennel seed
1 Cup water
3 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 Teaspoon dried basil
1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 Teaspoon sugar
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon pepper
1/8 Teaspoon hot sauce
2 Cloves garlic minced
2 Cups smoked turkey breast cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 Pound fennel bulbs coarsely chopped
1/2 Cup frozen peas thawed
1/2 Cup green onion thinly sliced
1 2-Ounce Jar chopped pimiento well drained
2 Tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- In 2-quart sauce pan, over high heat, combine rice, fennel seeds, and 1 cup water.
Bring to boil, stir with fork, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is completely absorbed. Cool to room temperature.
- To prepare the dressing, in small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons water, lemon juice, mustard, oil, basil, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and garlic.
- In large bowl, combine cooked rice, turkey, fennel, peas, onion, and pimiento with dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Garnish with pine nuts at time of serving.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Protein 11 grams
Fat (24%) 4 grams
Carbohydrate 19 grams
Sodium 575 mg
Cholesterol 15 mg
Recipe by The National Turkey Federation.