Holiday Rice Mixes: Perfect for Gift Giving
Holiday Rice Mixes:
Perfect for Gift-Giving
The day after Thanksgiving traditionally marks the official beginning of the holiday frenzy. Theres too many parties crammed together in too few nights. Holiday shopping is yet to be done. And though you traditionally make cookies and breads for friends and neighbors, who has time to bake?
Relax! Whether youre pressed for time, looking for ways to save on the holiday budget, or - yikes - cooking impaired, our collection of quick and easy rice mix recipes is perfect for holiday gift-giving! The mixes, available at www.ricecafe.com, are all the more satisfying when you consider how simple they are to prepare. With little organization, dozens of holiday mixes can be made in minutes, says Kimberly Park, director of consumer education for USA Rice. They are inexpensive, easy to mail, can be made ahead of time, and make great gifts for teachers, neighbors, co-workers, party hosts and friends.
Perhaps best of all, the rice recipes taste great and are a welcome respite from traditionally rich holiday foods. Here are some rice mix recipes from our library:
Packaging Holiday Rice Mixes
Just as fun as making rice mixes, is selecting pretty containers to hold them. Here are some simple and creative ways to package rice mixes. After you have filled the container, attach a label, instructions for preparing the mix, and a recipe for making more.
- Brown lunch sack - Place rice mix in zip-top plastic bag and place inside brown lunch sack with recipe card. Fold down the top of the sack and tie with plaid ribbon and a sprig of holly.
- Decorative tin For a quick packaging solution, place rice mix and recipe card in a decorative tin. Trim with ribbon and bow.
- Glass jar - Place rice mix in a beautiful glass jar. Trim with pinecones, evergreen twigs or tiny ornaments, and recipe card.
- Cellophane bag - Place rice mix in a cellophane bag. Trim with gold ribbon and recipe card.
- Canning jar - Place rice mix in a canning jar. Trim with ribbon, a wooden spoon, and recipe card.
- Chinese "to go" carton Place rice mix in zip-top plastic bag and place inside a Chinese "to go" carton with recipe card. Adorn with ribbon, evergreen or tiny ornaments.
- Cloth bag - Place rice mix in zip-top plastic bag. Place plastic bag into homemade cloth bag and trim with twine or ribbon and recipe card. To make bag: fold 11 ½" x 11 ½" fabric in half. With a ½" seam allowance, sew one short side and remaining long side. Turn right side out. Trim unfinished edge with pinking shears. Punch hole in recipe card. Thread twine or ribbon through hole in card and tie bow around the top of the bag.
Courtesy of USA Rice Federation.