Roasted Turkey with Cranberry Glaze
12-14 Pound whole turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
As needed salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Medium onions, chopped fine
1 16-Ounce Can jellied cranberry sauce
1/3 Cup brown sugar
- Remove giblets (discard livers), neck and any visible fat from turkey; reserve for stock.
- Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Season inside and outside with salt and pepper.
- Tie drumsticks together and twist wing tips behind back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) in shallow roasting pan. Cover loosely with foil.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325 degree F. oven about 2-1/2 hours, basting with pan juices.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and cook onions with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until very soft. (If onions begin to brown, lower heat.)
- Stir in cranberry sauce and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and pour glaze over bird.
- Continue to roast ½ to 1-¼ hours or until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F. in the thigh and 170 degrees F. in the breast.
- Remove turkey from oven. Allow turkey to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
Recipe by The National Turkey Federation.