From Kim Tilley of Frugal-Moms.com.
The Italian Beef recipe is from my mother in law and it's WONDERFUL!!! The Italian Beef Soup is a concoction I made up tonight. It smells incredible, and I just took a taste and it's AWESOME!!! Oooh- can't wait for dinner! Just waiting for the bread to finish now.
Here are the recipes. I hope your family enjoys them as much as ours does!
Italian Beef (in the Crockpot)
1 3-4 pound roast, cooked or uncooked- can be rump roast, arm roast, sirloin tips, round steak, whatever you like. (I've even used leftover potroast!)
1 can of beer OR 1 cup beef bouillon
1 8-oz jar of pepperoncinis (near the pickles in the grocery store)
1 tsp Italian seasoning or 1/2 tsp fresh Italian herbs- oregano, basil, rosemary, etc.
pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder- optional, if you like them
1. Put all ingredients in the crockpot. Add enough water so that the liquid comes to about halfway up the roast.
2. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low. I like to start the crockpot off on high for an hour, just to get it going real well.
3. Meat should fall apart when it's done cooking. Shred and serve on kaiser rolls, or on bread for an open-faced, hot sandwich. Drizzle meat juices liberally and enjoy!
Note: You don't have to have beer to make this dish. It's wonderful with the beer, but we don't drink, so I rarely have any around. Flat beer is fine too! The alcohol burns off anyhow, and no one will notice any flat taste.
Italian Beef Soup
Even after 8-10 hours in the crockpot, sometimes they'll be a bit of beef that is tougher than the other parts and is leftover. Also, we usually have plenty of meat juice and pepperoncinis left- so make some soup! This recipe was thrown together, loosely based on Italian Minestrone, but a little Cajun as well with the black-eyed peas. It's great!!!
Leftover Italian Beef (I had about 2 cups of meat leftover- more than normal, use whatever you have and add more veggies if necessary)
Leftover Italian Beef Broth- had about 2 cups- add beef bouillon cubes and water if you need to
1 can mixed vegetables
1 small zucchini, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup black-eyed peas
a few cups of water (I used a 6 quart stock pot, probably added 3-4 cups of water)
1. Skim fat off of leftover Italian Beef (and the broth). Add to pot with the rest of the ingredients.
2. Cook for 1-2 hours, until meat is very tender, water in soup has reduced by 1/3 and black-eyed peas are cooked.