There's no denying the fact that it's easy to go to the store and purchase pre-made snacks. Unfortunately, there's also no denying the fact that these snacks are usually unhealthy. Thankfully, there are fun and healthy snacks that can easily be made at home. In fact, they're so easy that kids can help make them.
Sliced Fruit Wrapped with Meat
Fruit is always a great snack for kids, but it can get boring after a while. Adding slices of meat not only increases the nutritional value of the fruit, but adds interest as well. It doesn't matter what combination is used, the thing to remember is to use low-sodium meat. For example, green apple slices could be wrapped in slices of leftover turkey. If the children have adventurous taste buds, cheese can also be added for even more nutrition.
Smiley Vegetable Pita Pizzas
This recipe is fun any time of the year, but it could easily be used during Halloween to create monsters or even colorful ornaments at Christmas.
16 mini whole wheat pita bread loaves
1 cup of pizza sauce
1 cup of 2 percent shredded mozzarella cheese
Sliced bell pepper rings
Sliced red onions
1. Top the pita bread with pizza sauce and cheese.
2. Use vegetables to create faces on the pizza.
3. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese has melted, about 10 -- 15 minutes.
Fruit Skewers with Strawberry Dipping Sauce
Kids love fun shapes and will love creating these fun skewers. The strawberry dipping sauce will also make the fruit more appealing to them. Plus, any fruit can be used for this fun snack.
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup water
8 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar-free strawberry jam
1. Use small cookie cutters to cut the sliced fruit into fun shapes.
2. Skewer the fruit onto long wooden skewers.
3. Mix the lemon juice and water and drizzle on the fruit skewers.
4. Mix the softened cream cheese with the strawberry jam.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Easy Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn
This recipe is incredibly easy and fun. Not to mention it has fiber, is low in fat and delicious. Kids will love curling up with this snack in front of their favorite movie or TV show.
1 bag of natural salt-free microwave popcorn, popped
4 tablespoons of Splenda
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Place the fresh popped popcorn in a large bowl.
2. Mix the Splenda and cinnamon together, sprinkle over the popcorn and toss.
3. Serve immediately.