Mold is a fungus and can be found almost anywhere there is moisture and air. It feeds on anything organic, including clothing, wood and paper. Some molds grow on the foliage of potted plants and in potting soil. Because mold can cause nasal congestion, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and memory and hearing loss, remove as much mold as possible from you home, including from your potted plants.
Determine if the mold on your plant is dormant or active. Dormant mold is dry and powdery. Active mold looks soft and fuzzy. If the mold is powdery, put rubber gloves on, take the plant outside, and wipe the leaves off with a solution of 1/4 oz. baking soda and 1 gallon water. Repot your plant in fresh, well-drained potting soil and a new pot. If you are concerned about molds in the new soil, sterilize the soil in a 200-degree oven for 30 minutes. Wash the pot in hot water with 1 tbsp. bleach.
If the mold is active, remove the damaged foliage and flowers, and repot your plant. Purchase a fungicide from your local garden center, and apply it to your damaged plant as well as to your other plants, particularly those in the same room.
Mold on household plants is indicative of something else wrong with them, so prevent disease by making sure they get enough sunlight and food. You can also prevent molds from growing in soil and on your plants by not over-watering your plants and making sure the pots have drainage holes and a few rocks in the bottom.
There is evidence that growing English Ivy can reduce the amount of mold overall in your home, according to Kenneth Kim, M.D., of Allergy, Asthma and Respiratory Care Medical Center in Long Beach, California.
Researchers placed moldy bread in one container and dog feces in another. They measured how much of each contaminant was in the air in the containers. Then they placed English Ivy in each container. After six hours, 60 percent of the mold was eliminated from the air in the bread container and 58 percent in the feces container. After another six hours, 78 percent of the airborne mold was gone, and 94 percent of the airborne feces was gone.