High-yield lime-sulfur spray is an important part of horticulture. It prevents many diseases and can be used on many types of plants. It can be used in the growing season and the dormant season. It's important to know the proper application methods, due to the high toxicity of the substance and the damage that it can cause to plants if applied improperly.
There is one commonly used high-yield lime-sulfur fungicide compound in the United States today. Also classified as Calcium Polysulfides this substance is an inorganic compound and is highly toxic. Lime sulfur sprays are most commonly used to control molds and mildew on roses, trees and other fruit baring plants. Lime sulfur sprays should be used in cooler temperatures; they should not be used in temperatures exceeding 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Although sometimes used in conjunction with horticultural oils, they are not recommended to be used immediately after the application of the oils, as this may cause damage to the plants.
Lime sulfur is mainly used to control sap-feeding insects, psyllas and funguses. On vegetable plants it is used to treat leaf spots, powdery mildew and rust. For non-fruit-bearing trees and ornamentals, such as rose bushes, deciduous hedge plants and brambles, lime sulfur sprays have been used to treat leaf spots, black spot and powdery mildew. Lime sulfur has been used on fruit-bearing plants such as apple trees, pear trees, peach trees and black berry bushes. On these plants the spray is used to treat powdery mildew, rust, shot-hole, leaf curl and scab. In addition, lime sulfur is used to control scale and mites.
Directions for Use
Due to the high toxicity of the substance it is important to use the proper safety equipment when applying the substance. When mixing the fungicide spray use gloves to protect your skin and use eye protection to avoid injury. When applying the substance it is important to use a face mask to help avoid breathing in toxic fumes. For application to plants you will need to put the mixture in a spray bottle designed for fungicides. It's important to only apply the mixture in the early morning or in the late evening to avoid burning the leaves. Also take note of the temperature--as it's important to apply the mixture when it's below 85 degrees Fahrenheit. When applying the mixture be sure that it's applied in a steady stream to prevent over application.