Christmas trees are a common seasonal decoration in many households. Though real pine trees are the traditional place for Santa to leave presents, they can cause serious allergies and are a great expense, year after year. A fake Christmas tree is an affordable investment, but it can cause just as many allergies if it is not cleaned properly.
Mold can grow on a fake Christmas tree relatively easily; storing a fake Christmas tree in an attic or basement can encourage the growth of mold. It is important to clean and treat the tree each year.
Move your tree into an open area away from the living space of your house to clean it if your tree shows signs of mold or people begin suffering allergy symptoms. A garage, shed or back yard will work for cleaning mold.
Use the compressed air spray on each branch and center section of your fake tree. This will blow existing mold spores and fungus off of the tree and make cleaning it with a fungicide or bleach mixture easier and more effective.
Treat each part of the fake Christmas tree with fungicide to kill remaining mold and fungus and prevent the growth of more. This can be purchased in the form of green, environmentally safe sprays like Vital Oxide, or you can use a combination of bleach and water.
Wipe down the tree 24 hours after it has been treated with fungicide to make sure it is dry. Mold and fungus grow in dampness and the dark, so bringing a wet tree back into your house will encourage the growth of mold.
After it is clean and dry, your tree can be put up inside your house. Do not leave your tree up for more than 2 weeks; after this point, any remaining mold spores will have reached their peak and can cause further allergic reactions. Treat the tree with fungicide before you store it again.