Apple Rhubarb Napoleon
Layering filo pastry with an egg white mixture rather than the usual melted butter, and substituting whipped cottage cheese for whipped cream, reduce the fat content of this elegant dessert to a mere 5 grams -- less than most cookies! Moreover, it's as delicious as it is guiltless.
1 extra-large egg white
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons finely ground walnuts
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
6 sheets (12- x 17-inch) filo pastry, thawed if frozen
3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups low fat (1%) whipped cottage cheese or small curd
1 Granny Smith apple
Nutrition information per serving
- Prepare Pastry: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two cookie sheets with vegetable oil cooking spray. In blender or food processor, combine egg white and oil; blend until well mixed. In small bowl, combine sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon.
- Place one sheet filo on clean work surface; brush lightly all over with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar mixture, then top with second sheet of filo; brush with egg white mixture and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Repeat layering with remaining 4 sheets of filo, brushing and sprinkling each layer. Cut rectangle of layered filo into sixteen 3- by 3 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer pieces to cookie sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare Filling: In saucepan, combine rhubarb and 1 cup sugar; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until rhubarb is soft and chunky. Set aside to cool. In blender or food processor, combine cottage cheese and remaining 1/4 cup sugar; blend or process until cheese is smooth.
- Just before serving, core apple and cut lengthwise into 24 pieces. In microwave-safe dish, cover apple slices with waxed paper; microwave 35 to 45 seconds on high (100% percent) or until softened; cool slices.
- To assemble each napoleon, place one piece filo on each of four serving plates; top with 2 tablespoons cheese mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons rhubarb mixture, and 2 slices apple. Layer two more pieces or filo and same amounts of filling ingredients. Top finally with a piece of filo, sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve.
Protein: 17g; Fat: 5g; Carbohydrate: 82g; Fiber: 4g; Sodium: 502mg; Cholesterol: 5mg; Calories: 412.
Thanks to the Washington Apple Website for this recipe.