The bird of paradise plant is poisonous to dogs. It causes symptoms of mouth and throat irritation, vomiting, nausea and diarrhea when ingested. It is believed that the tannins or hydrocyanic acid in the plant are the toxic compounds.
About this Author
Karen Ellis has been a full-time writer since 2006. She is an expert crafter, with more than 30 years of experience in knitting, chrocheting, quilting, sewing, scrapbooking and other arts. She is an expert gardener, with lifelong experience. Ellis has taken many classes in these subjects and taught classes, as well.