Elephant Ear plants are very poisonous to both humans and animals. The plant contains Oxalic acid and Asparagine, which can cause diarrhea, nausea, eye problems, burning and swelling in the mouth and throat, and other irritations. The sap is also poisonous and can cause skin irritations such as burning, swelling, and redness.
About this Author
Stephanie Manning started her writing career in 2007. She writes for a number of online publishers, including eHow and GardenGuides. She obtained certifications in horticulture, business and nursing from the Walton Career Development Center.