• All
  • Articles
  • Videos
  • Plants
  • Recipes
  • Members

Are the Berries on Holly Plants Poisonous?

Comments ()  |   |  Text size: a A  |  Report Abuse  |  Print
close

Report This Article

Are the Berries on Holly Plants Poisonous?

Reason for flagging?

Comments

Submit

Share:    |  Email  |  Bookmark and Share

Holly plants' (Ilex spp) bright red--sometimes yellow or orange--berries are mildly poisonous. Ingesting 20 or or more holly berries results in lethargy, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The fruit's toxins include glycosides, saponins, alkaloids and terpenoids.

Keywords: holly berries poisonous, toxic holly berries, holly toxins

About this Author

A freelance writer, Judy Wolfe has owned Prose for the Pros, a freelance writing business, since 2006. She's been an inveterate traveler since 1961 and draws on her travel experiences to provide articles for such websites as Chincoteague Island Vacations and Berlin Dude. Wolfe holds a Bachelor of Arts in literature from California State University at Pomona.