Plants & Flowers That Are Poisonous to Dogs

Certain human foods such as chocolate, onions and walnuts are poisonous to dogs, and you mostly likely already know not to feed them to your pet. However, there are also landscaping plants, flowers and houseplants that are poisonous to your dog. If he will frequent areas where those plants are located, it's best to remove them for his safety.


Aloe vera has become a popular plant, both indoors and outdoors, as people have discovered its healing ability. But aloe also includes an element called saponins, which are toxic to dogs when eaten. Symptoms your dog has ingested aloe include diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, anorexia and a change in the color of his urine.

American Holly

Another plant that contains saponins is American holly, also known as winterberry, inkberry, Oregon holly, European holly and English holly. Although the leaves and berries have a lower toxicity, the plant base is very toxic. Symptoms of ingestion in dogs include depression, diarrhea and vomiting.


Certain fruit tree parts are toxic to dogs, including some varieties of apricot, cherry, peach and plum. The toxic element in the leaves, pits, seeds, stems and leaves is cyanogenic glycosides; cyanide is released from them when the plant matter is chewed. Your dog may exhibit symptoms such as dilated pupils, panting, shock, difficult breathing and red mucous membranes if these plant parts are ingested

Asparagus Fern

Asparagus fern is grown both indoors and outdoors and is also known as emerald fern, plumosa fern, shatavari, racemose fern, lace fern and simply as asparagus. The toxic element is saponins. Dermatitis can be contracted with repeated exposure to the skin. Gastric ailments such as vomiting, stomach upset and diarrhea may appear if the asparagus fern berries are eaten by your dog.


Azaleas, a common landscaping plant with approximately 250 species, are classified as rhododendrons. Grayantoxin is the toxic element to dogs. Ingestion of the plant will cause diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, hypersalivation, hypertension, depression, coma, cardiovascular collapse and even death. Azaleas are so toxic to dogs that even if they only eat a few leaves, it can be serious.


Buttercup, a sweet, cheerful flowering plant, is toxic when ingested by dogs. There are many buttercup species, most commonly with yellow flowers. The toxic element is protoanemonin. Symptoms of ingestion are diarrhea, vomiting, anorexia, depression, wobbly walk and anorexia.

Keywords: toxic plants, plants dog toxic, poison plants dog

About this Author

Karen Ellis has been a full-time writer since 2006. She is an expert crafter, with more than 30 years of experience in knitting, chrocheting, quilting, sewing, scrapbooking and other arts. She is an expert gardener, with lifelong experience. Ellis has taken many classes in these subjects and taught classes, as well.