Hattie's Tart Cherry Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup canned or frozen tart cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 cup cherry preserves
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan with a heavy bottom; mix well. Simmer, covered, over medium heat about 25 minutes. If desired, thicken with a bit of cornstarch dissolved in water. Adjust seasoning.
Thanks to the Cherry Marketing Institute for this recipe.