Mushrooms, or toadstools, are caused by fungal spores that settle in ideal habitats such as your lawn. Although mushrooms are actually beneficial fungi that help decompose organic materials, they can quickly overtake your grass in an unsightly manner. Further, some toadstools are poisonous and if you have kids or pets, this is cause for concern. Using a few simple practices you can stop the mushrooms from growing in your own lawn by creating an inhospitable environment for them.
Pick or rake up the mushrooms that you find in your lawn. The spores are less likely to spread to other areas of your grass when this above-ground fruiting body is removed.
Reduce your lawn's watering schedule. Mushrooms thrive in moist conditions and a drier environment does not encourage fungal growth.
Use an aerator to improve the oxygen flow and drainage of your lawn's soil. Reducing any standing water discourages the toadstools.
Apply a nitrogen fertilizer at a measurement of 1 pound of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of grass. The fertilizer quickens the decomposition process before the mushrooms have a chance to develop.
Remove any old wood and/or grind down the stumps in your yard. Mushrooms decompose these materials; therefore, getting rid of this food source reduces the chances of their appearance.