The beautiful blooms of your outdoor garden may bring you pleasure but they could cause your dog misery and pain. Some of the most common flowers found in your home and in your backyard flower beds are dangerous for dogs when licked, touched or eaten. The ASPCA has compiled a list of plants which are known to be poisonous to dogs. Before you begin planting your spring flowers, take the time to find out if the plants you've chosen are going to make your dog sick.
Dogs who've eaten buttercups will experience diarrhea, vomiting and drooling. Dogs sometimes appear depressed and wobble or stagger when walking. Contact your veterinarian if your dog has eaten buttercups and begins to exhibit any of these symptoms.
Ingesting the leaves or flowers of the chrysanthemum can cause diarrhea, hypersalivation, vomiting and clumsiness in dogs. They may also experience dermatitis and itching if they've rubbed against mums. Call your vet if your dog exhibits any of these symptoms after eating or touching your mum plants.
Dogs who've eaten parts of your geranium plant will suffer from vomiting and may show signs of depression or anorexia. Dogs can develop dermatitis if they've been exposed to geraniums. Speak with your vet if you think your dog is having a reaction from eating or touching your geranium
Dogs will suffer from intense oral irritation after eating or licking the begonia.The dogs' mouth, tongue and lips will burn and they will experience excessive drooling. Some dogs may vomit and have difficulty swallowing. The tubers of the begonia are most toxic to dogs. Contact your vet immediately if you feel your dog is having a reaction from eating begonias.
Ingesting the leaves, flowers and bulbs of the daffodil will cause your dog to experience vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling. Dogs who have eaten a large number of daffodil plants may suffer from convulsions, low blood pressure and cardiac arrhythmia. The bulb is the most poisonous part of the daffodil. Seek immediate medical attention if you're dog has eaten any part of your daffodil.
The leaves and petals of the tulip are toxic to your dog. The tulip bulb is the most poisonous part of the flower. Dogs who have eaten tulips will suffer from excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea and may show signs of depression. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your dog has eaten any part of a tulip.
Eating or licking the calla lily causes dogs to suffer from extreme oral irritation. Your dog will experience a burning sensation of the mouth, lips and tongue. Dogs may vomit after eating the plant and can have trouble swallowing. Speak with your vet immediately if your dog has eaten the leaves or flowers of the calla lily.
Eating the hibiscus flower will cause dogs to suffer from nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Your dog may experience signs of anorexia and depression after ingesting the hibiscus leaves or flower. Contact your vet if you suspect that your dog has eaten parts of the hibiscus and exhibits signs of poisoning.
ASPCA Poison Control Hotline
The ASPCA's web site includes a list of plants that are known to be poisonous to dogs. If you believe your dog has eaten, or come into contact with a poisonous plant, call the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline at 1-888-426-4435, which is staffed 24 hours a day.