Poisonous House Plants for Dogs

There are numerous houseplants that are toxic to your dog, according to Dr. Murl Bailey, a toxicology professor with Texas A&M University. Though they may be pleasing to the eye, such houseplants can cause discomfort or death to your curious pet, depending on how much it eats. If you have an indoor dog, avoid keeping such dangerous plants in your home. If you suspect your dog has been poisoned, contact National Animal Poison Control Center (see Resources).

Oleander

Homeowners prize oleander (Nerium oleander) for its low-maintenance nature and colorful blossoms that range in color from white to purple. The plant's sap is toxic, making the entire shrub dangerous. Ingestion can lead to vomiting, a slowed heartbeat and death.

Crab's Eye

Crab's Eye (Abrus precatorius) goes by many names, including the Rosary Pea. The shrub is grown for its crimson seeds, which form eye-catching clusters on the plant. The same seeds are also toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal problems.

Tulips

Tulips (Tulipia) are commonly grown in the spring, and their bulbs are toxic when eaten. Dogs that eat a tulip bulb may exhibit symptoms like drooling, convulsions and abnormal heart function.

Rhododendron

The glossy leaves and showy blossoms of the Rhododendron add color to any home. The sap in the plant carries a grayanotoxin that can lead to a coma and death for a dog.

Castor Beans

Castor beans (Ricinus communis) thrive in pots and are known for their blossoms, prickly seed pods and pointed foliage. The plant's beans are extremely poisonous, holding the ricin toxin that causes severe gastrointestinal irritation in dogs, increased thirst and death. Trimming off the shrub's flowers will prevent bean production, rendering the plant safe for dogs.

Autumn Crocus

All parts of the Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale) plant, sometimes sold as the meadow saffron, are poisonous. In dogs, it can cause mouth irritations, diarrhea and shock.

Belladonna Lily

The Belladonna Lily (Amaryllis spp.) makes its appearance in garden stores and nurseries during the spring. It's a popular bulb and is renowned for its large flowers. The entire plant is toxic and can cause abdominal pain, shaking and vomiting in dogs.

Keywords: poisonous houseplants, houseplants and dogs, toxic houseplants

About this Author

Josh Duvauchelle is an editor and journalist with more than 10 years' experience. His work has appeared in various magazines, including "Honolulu Magazine," which has more paid subscribers than any other magazine in Hawaii. He graduated with honors from Trinity Western University, holding a Bachelor of Arts in professional communications, and earned a certificate in applied leadership and public affairs from the Laurentian Leadership Centre.